Thursday, August 16, 2012

I Love Sophie the Schnauzer

 I have become what I never thought I would - I'm completely obsessed with my dog (read more about Sophie here, here, here, and here).  Sophie Spike Haugo has been a part of our family since July 2008.  She's wonderful.  She makes me happy.  She makes me think of others.  She's made me more compassionate.  Every night, before I go to bed, I take a big breathe, and let it out slowly.  I learned that from Sophie.  She helps me relax.  She gets excited when I'm excited.  I could keep going, but I'll stop.

Anyway, tonight, Sophie was a crazy dog on her walk.  She ran as fast as she could go until she ran out of leash, then would fiercely sniff the grass until I caught up with her...and the cycle kept repeating.  Now, she's passed out on the sofa across the room from me (apparently she wanted to stretch out).  However, earlier tonight, she was staring at me from the dining room as I played on my computer (see photo below).  I really wish she could talk to me.  I think Sophie has a sarcastic and funny personality, and I can only imagine how that would sound.

I'm sure Sophie was trying to tell me something, I just don't know what it was...

And for your viewing pleasure, here are some of my favorite photos of Sophie.  I have them all at my desk at work...and some of them are framed at home.  I just can't get enough of her!

Sophie on her first day home with us
Sophie's first time outside.  She was afraid of the grass.
Sophie and I bonded when Josh was on a work trip.

Our 2011 Christmas photo

I swear Sophie is smiling here...
Sophie has also had her time in the spotlight (literally).  She modeled for bhg.com a couple of years back.  Here she is next to her pumpkin. You can even download the stencil here.  And here's what I had to say about Sophie back in 2009 (she was in her crazy chewing phase and I thought it would never end!):  Sophie, my schnauzer, chews, destroys, and eats everything in her path -- shoes, rugs, paper, laundry sheets -- she's not picky. She's destroyed cell phones, hairbrushes, wicker baskets, water bottles, and lots of dog toys. She's a sweetheart, though, and oh-so adorable. -- Rachel Haugo, Sophie's owner

Sophie the Schnauzer as a pumpkin
Here is an outtake from the photo shoot.  She just likes to smile!

Smile, Sophie!
Then, back in 2010, Sophie appeared in an editor's photo for my former magazine.

The magazine staff with our dogs
And then, this past spring, Josh brought Sophie downtown for a photo shoot of mine.  Sophie was a little scared of the orange chair, but she was a trooper.  She just really wanted off the rickety chair...and wanted to play with the ball.

What a great-looking coat rack...
So, anyway, this post shows a tiny snippet of my love for Sophie.  I think she's amazing.  I'm so glad she's a part of our family.  Thanks, Jon and Pam, for picking a good dog for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment