Thursday, August 23, 2012

Loss of a Legend

This morning, a fellow Iowa State journalism graduate posted about the passing of professor Barbara Mack.  She was a legend in the journalism program.  Every journalism student had to take journalism law, and she was one of the two professors (when I was a journalism student, that is).  I had her my senior year.  She was a tough cookie.  So much so, that with my apprenticeship, involvement with my sorority and on campus, and two other side jobs, I didn't think I could handle her class...so I dropped it (and had to take it the next semester with a different professor).  Anyway, when I told her I needed to drop it because I was over-committed and couldn't invest enough of myself in the class, she was kind and understanding (a complete surprise to me, and the first time I saw her kind heart).  I hate admitting I can't do everything.  I dropped two classes in undergrad:  chemistry (my first semester when I came to the realization that I'm not cut out to be a doctor) and journalism law.  I regret dropping chemistry...however, technically I didn't drop it (long story...).  I don't regret dropping journalism law.  I took it the next semester and got an A.  I felt like I owed it to her to do well in it.

Barbara Mack was rigid.  She expected a high standard of excellence from her students (and probably everyone, really).  She demanded respect.  And I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience her teaching.  I wish her family all the best in this difficult time.  I hope they know she left behind a legacy that may never be matched.  She was a legend in herself and will be missed dearly.  The Iowa State journalism program will never be the same.  And, for everyone who knew her, we will never be the same.

Barbara Mack, you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment