Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sweet Home Kappa Gamma

I lived in Ames for four years (except for the two summers I spent at home - one summer was spent living at a fraternity...more on that experience later!).  Three of those years were spent living at 120 Lynn Avenue at the Kappa house.  I had my own fair share of struggles living with 60+ girls, but I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.  A couple weeks ago, I participated in house tours given by the new sophomores.  It was wonderful.  I walked through all the rooms I'd lived in.  Hello, memories...

Anyway, on Monday night, I had an alumnae association event up in Ames, and I was happy to attend since I knew I'd also stop over at the house to meet with my advisee. Jessica planned the alumnae event - wine tasting at a self-serve wine bar. When she told me about the place, I had visions of Lemon Tree, Cherry Berry, and Orange Leaf in my head...turns out, that's not actually correct, but the basic gist of things. You purchase a pre-paid card, insert the card in the machine, then press the amount of wine you'd like (the prices and quantities are all marked on the machine). It's pretty simple. And quite innovative. Congrats, Della Viti. We had a great time tasting wines and catching up with one another. I love chatting with the "older" ladies in our association. They were advisers when I was an undergraduate...and I think they've been advisers for about 50 years. They're wonderful ladies.

Jessica trying out the machines.

Anyway, after wine tasting, I drove over to the chapter house to meet with my advisee, Annie. She's great - so prepared, so eager to do big things, and so down-to-earth. Before I walked in the house, I had to stop to take in the moment. It was the first chapter meeting of the school year, and all the new members were at the house for formal pledging. The actives were wearing black dresses. The new members were wearing white. But, while they were all down in the chapter meeting room, the house was quiet. And it made me miss college and all my friends living under one roof...for three glorious years.

120 Lynn will always be Home Sweet Home

It's a beautiful sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment