Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Nothing Compares to the Iowa State Fair

On Sunday, Jessica and I went to the fair. I love the fair. I've gone every year since I moved to Iowa (except for last year). When I moved here, I didn't realize the fair was such a big deal to the state, as well as to everyone who lives in the Des Moines area. I grew up in North Dakota...with a population of 600,000...and I never attended a state fair there. Did anyone?

Anyway, since I was too busy to go to the fair last year, I was determined to go this year (I needed to do research for my 30 before 30 goals - hopefully 6 and 29 I can cross of next year!). A few months back, I bought Rascal Flatts tickets for Jessica and I. The concert was at the grandstand at the fair on the last day of the fair, so I knew I'd be able to attend this year's fair at least once. Sure enough, I attended once. It was both our first experiences at the grandstand. We had terrible tickets (section YZ, row 19, seats 5 &6). It was about as far away from the stage as it could have been. Before the concert started, Jessica and I walked around, taking in the sights, sounds, and smells (all good and bad). They are below.  Also, I should note that finding g-free food at the fair wan't too bad.  Since Jessica knows where every vendor is (I'm pretty sure going to the fair multiple times every year for the past 27 years has helped her with that skill), I just suggested foods I wanted, and she took me there.  I had lemonade, porkchop on a stick, and we shared her cup of watermelon.  It was all delicious!

Fresh lemonade at the fair is the best!


933 pounds of pumpkin


The famous butter cow is a staple sight to see.


Pork chop on a stick


Some of the quilts on display


Rascal Flatts concert ticket


The view of the grandstand and Midway from our seats


When Jessica and I were sitting in the wrong seats...


Turns out, we were 15 seats closer to the stage than we originally thought!


Rascal Flatts performing live!


Next weekend, I'm going up to Minnesota for Cassie's wedding (I can't believe it's already here!), and I plan to hit up the Minnesota State Fair while I'm there. We'll see how it compares...

No comments:

Post a Comment