Thursday, August 23, 2012

Just An Ordinary Day

Have you ever heard Ordinary Day by Vanessa Carlton?  I got the CD in high school, and this was probably one of my favorite songs.  Maybe it's the piano.  Maybe it's because I always wish I knew how to play the piano.  Maybe it's her soothing voice.  Anyway, I feel like every day is ordinary, but it's what you make of it that makes it special...or not. 


Today was a pretty nice day.  I started the day remembering an admired professor after a sudden death.  Maybe that's what made today special...appreciating today for what it is and not dreading it.  Today was what I would consider to be an ordinary office day, if there is such a thing.  I had nearly three straight hours of meetings this afternoon, and during them, I couldn't help taking a picture of how we made it through the meeting:  Laffy Taffy


This week, I spent the whole week in the office.  I think this is a summer record.  I don't think I've been at my desk for this long in about three months....maybe four.  It was a nice change of pace.  Anyway, earlier this week, I went to a meeting, and came back to find my co-worker's office looking like this.  It's pretty typical to do little projects at our desks.  I've polyurathaned projects, stained wood, and used a hand saw at my desk.  It's just what we do, but I couldn't help but capture the moment.


While I was at work today, my mom called and asked if she could go over to my house and make me an apple pie.  Um, yes?  I actually forgot about it during my marathon meetings this afternoon, so walking in my door and being greeted by the aroma of fresh apple pie was quite a treat.  I ate two pieces for dinner.  It was amazing.  Honestly, I'll probably eat a piece of it for every meal until it's gone.  It's that good.


The crust she used was one I had on hand from Gluten Free Pantry.  It was delicious - flaky and buttery - unlike any other gluten-free pie crust I've tried.


Then, I took Sophie on a walk.  I love my neighborhood.  I love walking around the little lake.  Sophie loves it, too.  There are lots of smells for her to explore.  I hope to live in our neighborhood forever.  Once they build the HyVee a couple of blocks from the house, it'll be even more amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment