Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sporty Spice

I joined a sand volleyball tournament this summer - eight weeks of sand volleyball fun on Tuesdays at 7:30.  It's OK if you're shocked.  I am trying something outside my element.  It kind of shocks me, too.  Until last night, I hadn't played volleyball since Josh and I met at freshman orientation in June of 2003.  It was the first day of orientation, and I was still in my super shy phase.  Anyway, I had talked up at dinner with Josh and his parents how great I was at playing volleyball before we went to play...and maybe set the bar a bit too high.  I was wearing a hot pink Abercrombie polo and an adorable Ralph Lauren denim mini skirt.  In order to maintain keeping my goods under wraps, I played less than aggressively, which obviously didn't impress the Haugos.  Josh likes to bring it up whenever I say I'm really great at doing something. 

So, circle back to last night.  We played at The Sands Volleyball Club in Des Moines.  The team consists of a few of my coworkers and some of our spouses and friends.  I really don't know who all is playing since not everyone could make last night.  I'm looking forward to getting to know my co-workers outside the office and hopefully rocking out in volleyball.  I racked up the points last night in my awesome underhand serves.  Now, I should probably work on not looking at other teams when I should be paying attention to what's going on in my own court...or sandbox?  Whatever.  I have eight weeks to figure this out.  I also have eight weeks to get a better photo of our team, perhaps from someone who knows how to operate an iPhone.

Here is our (ultra blurry) team photo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment