Sunday, May 13, 2012

Front Door Makeover

Today, I spent the day at my mom's house making her front entryway look pretty.  Actually, the work started on Friday when I picked up Sophie and was suckered into power washing the front entryway.  Then, I decided I may as well spruce it up for Mother's Day.  I'd been planning on making it look better for a while, however this proved to be the perfect weekend - the stars must have been perfectly aligned.

Anyway, after church, I made the adorable g-free pineapple upside down cakes.  Then, Josh and I loaded up the car and grabbed Sophie to drive over to mom's for the day.  We ate chicken tacos and by 2:30, I was determined to paint the entryway and get it all done today.  So, I got out my handy paintbrush and went to town.  I even managed to get my nephew, Justyn, to help me for a little bit.  By 8 o'clock tonight, I left mom's house with a huge sense of accomplishment.  I painted the shutters, the front door, and the mailbox.  Then I spray painted the brass hardware on the storm door and the knocker from the front door a stainless look to match the new locks I installed.  And to finish it all, I put on new house numbers on the mailbox.  I'm so proud of it!  I typically rate any outdoor projects for work as super low on my priority list (I'd much rather design a bathroom, kitchen, or any other indoor room), however, after this experience, I think I might try to branch out and work on an outdoor story. 

Power washing on Friday.

The before.  Quite sad.

My nephew, Justyn, helping me paint the shutters.

Isn't he adorable?

Bright mailbox with bold numbers.

Used to be brass - now stainless look.

Used to be brass - now stainless look.
The After
Used to be brass - now stainless look.
I love the orange door!

Paint:  Valspar Seafoam Storm and Woodlawn Salsa ($16 each)
Spray paint:  Rustoleum Metallic Brilliant Metal Finish ($4)
Stickers:  Lowe's ($0.44 each)
Locks:  Lowe's (already had)
TOTAL COST: $38

That's a pretty great bargain for a completely new look and less than eight hours of actual labor invested.  Plus, my mom loves it and it makes her feel special.  That's priceless.  I love you, mom!

My mom is the best mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment