Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I Like Hymns

There.  I said it.  I like hymns.  I like singing them.  I like the familiar tunes.  One reason I like shopping at Hobby Lobby is I get to sing along to the music.  I know not many other kids grew up singing hymns every day at school and then at church three times a week, but I did.  And I'm not bitter about it.  Yes, it's a bit different from most people.  But, seriously, who said I was like most people...really...

Anyway, my favorite right now is Untitled Hymn sung by Chris Rice.  It's really great and makes me feel empowered and close to Jesus, which I guess is why some people refer to it as the Come to Jesus song...


A few of my other favorite Christian musicians right now are JJ Heller and Laura Story.  Minna, Angel, Jill and I saw JJ in concert last year in Dubuque.  It was great.  She's so sweet and her husband, Dave, is equally as adorable.  JJ is sort of like a Christian version Norah Jones.  This is one of my favorite JJ songs, What Love Really Means.  I hope she comes back to Iowa again for another concert!


Another song by JJ I adore is the Boat Song.  It's up-beat and so sweet.  The music video is pretty cute, too.



Laura Story is also pretty cool.  Her style is much more traditional hymn-like, but I like it.  One of my favorite songs from her is Blessings.  It's kind of sad, but it's good.


So, there you have it.  I dig hyms and Christian music.  They make me feel so much more at peace when I listen to them.  Not that I don't enjoy a good Rascal Flatts, Taylor Swift, or Michael Buble song every once in a while.  There's a time and a place for them all.  You should see my iTunes...it's a crazy jumble of all sorts of tunes.  And I like it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment