Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Great Minnesota Get-Together

This past Saturday, I attended the Minnesota State Fair.  It was pretty similar to the Iowa State Fair, except I think there were more people there.  I met up with Gena and Luke (who had just moved in to his freshman dorm at the University of Minnesota), and we spent the evening together walking around the fair, eating food, and people-watching.  Iowa has some great people-watching, but I think Minnesota's people-watching is far better.  I saw a tattoo that was written on a lady's back...but the font was reversed (I'm guessing so they lady could read it when she stands in front of the mirror and looks at herself with a hand-held mirror?).  I saw a completely unhappy couple taking a self-portrait (the woman was about 8 months preggers, and the man was disinterested in her and the terrible photo they took together).  It was an awesome people-watching evening.  Plus, the weather was fabulous - high 80s with a light breeze (just like it was for Cassie's wedding the day before).  I didn't get a chance to enjoy Sweet Martha's Cookies, but the French fries I had were heavenly (and gluten-free).  Also, we ran into Cassie's mom and sister, and Josh's cousins, Natalie and Derek.  I'd say it was a great get-together.





Making spin art for $4

Can't wait to frame this masterpiece!

Delicious French Fries

Gena's deep-fried pickles

Luke's Dippin Dots (they don't have these in Alaska)
Natalie and Derek working hard at the cheese curd stand
 After we had our fill of the fair, Gena drove us over to the U of M so Luke could give us a tour of his dorm room.  I can't believe Luke is old enough to go to college.  I remember his first (and second) year of kindergarten like it was just yesterday...where did the time go!

He's a college guy now!

1 comment:

  1. The kids enjoyed seeing you at the fair. Sometimes I wondered if they wore more cheese curds than they sold.

    ReplyDelete