Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Time to Remember

Seven years ago today, one of my dear college friends passed away in a tragic car accident.  He was on his way home from a class at DMACC in Boone, driving back to Ames to his fraternity.  Three other fraternity brothers were in the car when the accident happened.  It was a horrific scene (from what they told me).  I can't imagine being there.  I was devastated when I learned about his passing, especially since we had just celebrated the Iowa State win against Iowa three days before that.  The weekend before that, we had gone camping together as part of a leadership retreat (we'd done it for two years at that point).  We had talked about his upcoming 21st birthday (on September 25), and he was already making plans for my 21st birthday party celebration (on October 9).  He was one of the best guys I've ever met and I'll always miss him...especially on September 13.

Andy was a genuine guy with a heart of gold who always had a smile on his face.  When I first met him, I was pretty intimidated to lead a committee with him since he was so tall (which can be scary to this short girl) and I'd never met him before we took over the committee.  Our year as Freshmen Council Fundraising Committee Co-Chairs was wonderful.  I thank Andy for encouraging me to be more outgoing (I used to be super shy), to try new things (Panda Express was our lunch choice for our weekly office hours), and to let loose every once in a while (he was always inviting me over to his fraternity to socialize).  Andy, wherever you are, I hope you're smiling down knowing once again, it's a Cyclone State.

Rest in peace, my friend
Andrew Arden Albright
September 25, 1984 - September 13, 2005


No comments:

Post a Comment