Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Gluten-Free Italian Medley Lasagna

I like to use recipes as a guide, but I don't like to follow them exactly.  When I started making lasagna tonight, I looked at the recipe on the side of the box of noodles, but knew I wasn't going to make it like that (however, I did appreciate the layering and baking instructions).  I've had canned mushrooms, artichokes, spinach, and black olives in my pantry for a while now that I'd been waiting to use, but hadn't been brave enough to use them yet.  So, tonight was the night.  Below is the recipe I made up.  It's delicious, and I hope you love it, too.  Actually, I hope you don't, because then there will be more for me to eat.

  
Gluten-Free Italian Medley Lasagna
(Serves 12)
1 box of De Boles Gluten-Free Rice Lasagna
1 pound Graziano sausage (you can use spicy Italian sausage or any other ground up meat)
2 tablespoons frozen basil (I use Dorot)
2 small cans of sliced mushrooms (could use fresh)
1 small can of sliced black olives
1 can of artichokes
1 can of spinach (could substitute fresh or frozen)
1 egg
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 large can of spaghetti sauce (I used a four cheese plus two jelly jars of my mother-in-law's homemade spaghetti sauce)

Brown sausage in a skillet. When the meat is almost browned, mix in the basil, mushrooms, black olives, artichokes and spinach.  Continue cooking for approximately five minutes.  In a small bowl, mix the egg with half of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. 

In a 9x13 pan, layer as follows:  spaghetti sauce, noodles, meat and vegetable medley mixture, cheese mixture, then repeat (I had two sets of layers). Tip: make sure your noodles are coated with the spaghetti sauce for every layer (otherwise they won't cook all the way through).  Drizzle one more layer of spaghetti sauce.  Then, mix together remaining cheese and sprinkle on top of lasagna.  Before you put it in the oven, cover with tin foil.  Tip:  If you spray your tin foil with Pam, the cheese won't stick to the tin foil.  Bake for one hour.  Then, remove tin foil and broil for five minutes (to brown the cheese). 

No comments:

Post a Comment