Friday, June 1, 2012

Shake It Up

Today, I thought I'd try a new smoothie place in Ankeny.  I had a 2 o'clock appointment, and was about 30 minutes early, so I thought I'd take advantage of the time gap and test out the smoothie place.  When I imagined this smoothie place, I had visions of fresh strawberries and oranges and bananas...you know, somewhat Jamba Juice-like...and I imagined I'd spend plenty of summer days drinking these fruit-filled smoothies.  It took me about 10 minutes to find the joint (thanks, Google maps, for failing me yet again).  It should have taken me about two minutes.  The place is called Thrive, so naturally I assumed there would be fruit displayed (and maybe some wheat grass growing in the windows).  Um, no.  Rude awakening.  It's a protein shake place that sells Herbalife.  I thought I was surely off the hook when I said I was gluten-free, but, alas, I was wrong.  They mixed powders together with ice and vanilla Silk to make me an Elvis (banana and peanut butter - no bacon) smoothie.  I also had a shot of aloe vera (SO much better than I imagined it would be!), and a glass of raspberry tea.  The tea and aloe vera were de-lish.  The protein shake...not so much.  The moral of the story:  it's good to try new things.

Their gluten-free powder costs $37.85.

No comments:

Post a Comment