Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I Work Out

When I work out, sometimes I think of the LFMAO song, Sexy and I Know It. 



This week, I started working out with a personal trainer.  I stopped working out at Farrell's because my ridiculously inconsistent schedule wasn't really jiving with the rigid Farrell's schedule.  A few weeks back, I took advantage of a free seven-day pass at Anytime Fitness (it's open 24/7).  The location of the gym is 0.7 miles from my house, which breaks down to a four-minute drive or a 14-minute walk.  I'll probably never walk, let's be honest.  However, it's nice to know it's an option. 

So, when I signed up at Anytime Fitness, I asked if I could meet with a personal trainer to learn how to use the gym equipment.  Alejandro was assigned to me and I love him.  He's from Honduras (or some other South American country that starts with an "H") and can't speak English very well, but he knows what he's doing.  Before he moved to Ankeny, he was ranked number 2 in his country in some body building competition.  This give me confidence that he can whip me into shape.  Anyway, I learned how to use the equipment, and after an additional training session with him, I committed to attending two sessions a week with him for the next month.  Yesterday was my first actual session with him and I'm sore.  I'm really looking forward to the next month of workouts!

Another pro for Anytime Fitness - the fitness classes for the summer are free.  I went to a metabolic intervals class and it was awesome.  I really liked the instructor, and the workout was tough.  I think that was one of my problems with Farrell's - I was too comfortable.  I made a point to not get to know any of the other people in my classes so I wouldn't feel too comfortable and I'd consistently try to keep the performance bar high.  However, after more than two years there, I got to know people and I lost my drive to work hard.  Plus, I hate sweating, so kickboxing days were avoided for the past six months.

Also, Alejandro is making me keep a food log.  I actually thought twice when I was at the movie theater this afternoon and didn't go with a large popcorn (plus the small popcorn was free).

No comments:

Post a Comment