Friday, April 20, 2012

Summer Vacations

Growing up, I didn't really have a summer vacation.  My parents were Ham Radio operators.  Dad's call sign is N0HAN; mom's is KB0MGV.  When I was homeschooled, my mom taught my sister and me Morse Code.  She was upgrading her Ham Radio license and learning Morse Code was required.  I don't remember much (more than SOS), but I'm glad I had the experience.  Anyway, back to family vacations.  Pretty much every summer, we ventured three hours from our house near Larimore, North Dakota, up to Dunseith, North Dakota for the annual Ham Radio Fest.


I loved every year when I saw the giant turtle.  It meant the gardens were just a few minutes away.

"World's largest man-made turtle" was "erected as a novelty" in 1982, welded together from over 2,000 steel wheel rims by, George Gottbreht.
Other vacation highlights included the clock, the sunken gardens, and the Peace Tower.  Every year, the garden is planted differently, so seeing the different flower patterns was truly exciting.  I was homeschooled and lived in North Dakota, folks.  Almost anything was exciting to me.

The Flower Clock plantings change every year.
A narrow channel flows through the center, the 49th parallel, of the formal garden.
Most years, I remember sleeping in our family car for the couple of days we were there.  I think we slept in tents a couple of years.  Once (that I remember), a bear was rumored to be in the campgrounds.  This is probably why I don't like camping now.  Who would want to die on their family vacation by being eaten by a bear?  Not this girl.  So, that's one of my childhood summer vacations.  The others were spent at Family Camp and Junior Camp, camping trips put on by our church.  They were about as fun as camping at the Peace Gardens.  Ok, they weren't.  They were worse.  Even as a little kid, I didn't want to be in nature for more than a couple of hours.  When, in fourth or fifth grade, I took three suitcases to Junior Camp, I should have come to grips with this.  I enjoy the comforts of home and being inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment