Monday, April 16, 2012

Gluten-free isn't (always) gross

I began a gluten-free diet June 1, 2011.  After nearly 15 years of pills and way too many "tummy troubles" to count, I decided to take the advice of Dr. Cassie B. (my best friend from high school) and give up gluten.  I was doubtful it would really make me feel better, even after reading Elizabeth Hasselbeck's book The G-Free Diet.  I'd given up dairy and pop a few years back, and it didn't really help.  But, I figured I'd take her up on the two-week trial and see what happened.  And the best news - nothing happened!  I didn't have ANY tummy troubles!  I was sold.  No more gluten for this girl!

Over the past year, I've tried a few recipes (gluten-free is expensive, so I plan frugally).  Some recipes have been awful (a balsamic flank steak I found on Pinterest that I probably made wrong), while some have been amazing (the recipe I'm sharing below).  I can make my co-workers think gluten-free isn't awful when I bring these tasty bites to the office.



Blueberry-Orange Scones
from Gluten-Free Made Simple

Ingredients
2 c. Domata Living gluten-free all-purpose flour
2 T. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 T. grated orange peel
1/2 cup very cold, unsalted butter, cut up
1 cup dried blueberries (I had cranberries, so that's what I used)
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 recipe Orange Frosting Drizzle

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Set aside. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add grated orange peel and mix well.

Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly, resembling small peas. Add dried blueberries and buttermilk, stirring until just moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead five or six times.

Pat into an 8-inch circle. Cut into eight wedges. Place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool. Drizzle with Orange Frosting.  *I adapted Ree's technique, making my scones smaller, which yielded 16 wedges.

Orange Frosting Drizzle
In a small bowl stir together 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons orange juice, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and 1 teaspoon grated orange peel until creamy and smooth. Place in a piping tube or a small plastic sandwich bag; cut off corner of bag. Pipe or squeeze frosting onto scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment