Friday, November 16, 2012

Young House Love Book Signing in Minneapolis

A few years back, I used to peruse blogs in search of perfect locations for photo shoots.  A little blog called This Young House (they later had to change the name to Young House Love because of some legal nomenclature issues) was one of my go-to blogs (as in I read it daily, truly for work purposes).  Every once in a while, I would email Sherry if one of her featured reader redesigns would be appropriate to photograph for the magazine for which I worked.  Anyway, once her own budget bathroom makeover was complete (read about the project here), I emailed her and asked if we could photograph it to feature in the magazine (read about Sherry's take on the photo shoot here).  So, I've had lots of email convos with her over the years, but I've never had the opportunity to meet her in person...until Wednesday of this past week.

Wednesday started like any other day.  I woke up to the sound of my alarm; I turned on my bedside lamp.  I pressed snooze on my alarm.  Nine minutes later, I woke up again to the sound of my alarm.  I made coffee...you get the gist.  Around 8:30, I hopped in my trusty Honda Civic, and drove two hours up to Josh's parent's house, where I met Jennifer (remember, she's the mastermind behind Thread).  We then carpooled up to Minneapolis for a fun-filled day revolving around a little book signing.

John and Sherry were on their book tour, and they conveniently had a stop in Minneapolis.  Like any Iowan, a four-hour drive up to Minneaplis is nothing - we do it all the time.  When Jennifer asked if I wanted to head up to Minneapolis for the day, I was game!  So, that's exactly what we did.

We started at Ikea where we enjoyed a lovely meal in their cafeteria (I got the meatballs; Jennifer ate a healthy wrap), and then headed downstairs to peruse the aisles.  After that, we drove over to the  Room & Board showroom.  Um...heaven!  I dream of a whole house furnished in Room & Board...  I digress...  Then, we parked at a parking ramp (conveniently located in the same building as The Container Store), browsed at The Container Store, and then got in line at West Elm...where we stayed for three hours (two outside, one inside).

Snoopy at Ikea

My high-school friend, Lindsay, also attended the book signing along with her friend, Brienna (Lindsay is the one who introduced me to Joia soda this summer).  We met up at the event and chatted for the three hours we waited in line.  It's always fun catching up with old friends!

We braved the Minnesota cold for two hours!
Unsigned copy of the book:  check.
Everyone was served cookies and hot chocolate from Common Roots Bakery while they waited in line.
After waiting three hours in line, it was finally our turn to get our books signed and have a photo taken with John and Sherry.  I introduced myself (knowing full-well they probably forgot who I was) only to have Sherry remember exactly who I was.  We reminisced for a brief moment (there were at least 700 people in line behind me waiting for a signature).  She said she loved my scarf (it's from Francesca's), and that I had great pins on pinterest.  Thanks, Sherry!  You're very kind.  It was a pleasure meeting you.

As Jennifer said, it's like we're five years old and meeting Mickey Mouse - big smiles!
It took about an hour, but Jennifer and I finally came down from our celebrity blogger high (or was it a sugar high?).  After a quick dinner at Good Earth, Jennifer and I drove back to Iowa.  I stayed the night at my in-laws' house; she stayed at her in-laws' house.  It's been two days...I'm still recovering from our awesome whirlwind day trip! 

Anyway, I made a goal to not be too dorky when I met Sherry and John (like I was when I met The Pioneer Woman last year at BlogHer in San Diego).  I hope I succeeded.  I'm pretty sure Ree thought I was highly creepy enthusiastic.  Seriously, my smile is HUGE in the photo below...and I had it pasted on my face for hours after meeting her.  And when I talked to Ree, I am confident I made no sense at all (I'm about 99% sure she did not get the gist that I can relate with her homeschooling stories and the whole rural living thing). At least I was able to have a back-and-forth conversation with John and Sherry...

Ree was SO cool.  I'm pretty sure we could be BFFs.
Read more about the book signing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment