Sunday, May 5, 2013

I Made a Quilt

I've wanted to make a quilt for a long time, but I've never had the real motivation to actually complete one.  Here's the somewhat long story of how the quilt came to be.  Check off number 6 on my 30 before 30 list.  Done and done.

The quilt on the bed with a mini blanket

Front and back of the quilt

Started the project at 9:30 pm; finished at 2:00 am


About a month two months ago, Emily asked if I'd make some minky changing pads for her baby.  I purchased two yards of red, one yard of white, and two yards of green minky fabric from Jo-Ann Fabric to make the changing pads (the white was a remnant and sold at 75% off).  Since I had no idea how much fabric it would take to make the changing pad covers, I figured what I had would work and I'd go from there.  Thanks to my sister (and a few google searches with patterns), the changing pad covers turned out perfectly (we added a strip of elastic sewn between the long lengths in the center of the pad for extra slip-resistance).  The changing pads took about one yard each to make.  With the leftover fabric (and three yards total of flannel fabric), I pieced together the quilt as I went along.  Without any planning at all, the quilt folds in half lengthwise to fit perfectly in the crib.  The little white ties were a last-minute finishing touch that also ensures the quilt stays flat.  I love how both the quilt and changing pads turned out and really hope Emily does, too.

Minky changing pad cover - harder to make than it looks

No comments:

Post a Comment